There are so many different types of pool cleaners out there that buying a reliable unit can seem entirely like guesswork. We’ve already covered the top 5 robotic pool cleaners in a previous post and thought we’d delve into the world of suction-style pool cleaners so that you didn’t have to do any more leg work! Here’s our top 5 suction pool cleaners as recommended by our experts.
Apart from being tricky to pronounce (seriously—how do you say that?!), this really is a top of the line unit. It is a suction-style pool cleaner that works on in-ground swimming pools, features internal programing and an efficient steering system that works to clean the whole pool without getting stuck in corners or along the drain as many others pool cleaners do. It cleans the pool surface, moving around by using the pool’s water flow to catch any fallen dirt and debris from the bottom of the pool.
- Self-adjusting turbine for maximum power
- 4-Wheel drive
- Three programmed turns ranging from 90-540 degrees
- Works on all pool surfaces and efficiently navigates through any pool shape
- Has durable tires with tread wear markers
- Adjustable skirt system for optimal suction
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly (great name, questionable spelling choice) is a great suction cleaner for all kinds of in-ground swimming pools. It is available in two different options: flat seal and pleated seal (pictured: pleated). The pleated seal design is made to work for all pool surfaces (vinyl, tile, fiberglass, gunite/plaster). However, the pleated style tends to wear more when used on gunite/plaster. If your pool is predominantly plaster, you may want to go for the flat seal design which is recommended ONLY for gunite/plaster pools.
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly works really well on all in-ground swimming pools. It’s a durable cleaner, moves around easily, and only has one moving part, meaning you won’t have lots of pieces to replace over time. It also comes in at an affordable price and has lots of neat features that make it a great unit.
- Automatic regulator valve to control water flow rate
- Dive Float helps to navigate it throughout the pool
- Specially designed to channel debris into the cleaner
- Maneauvers easily over ladders and steps
- Is easy to set up—goes from box to cleaning the pool in less than 10 minutes
Watch the demonstration video on Sunplay’s product page.
This neat machine, the Zodiac MX6 Pool Cleaner, uses a special kind of cyclonic vacuum technology to remove the max amount of debris while maintaining a great amount of suction. The cyclonic system creates a great amount of vacuum power while only requiring a flow rate of 22 gallons per minute.
The Zodiac suction cleaner also utilizes X-Drive Navigation which allows it to go around the pool easily, making it in and out of corners with ease. No debris will be left lurking around the edges. It’s small, user friendly, light, and you can get to the internal components with a one-click access system.
This unit can be used on above-ground as well as in-ground pools and is compatible with all surfaces (pebble finish, vinyl, fiberglass, concrete, tile, etc.).
- 2 year manufacturer’s warranty
- 36 feet of vacuum hose and flow regulator
- Flex power turbine to provide maximum torque
- X-Trax for exceptional gripping, easy maneuverabilty, and wall climbing
- Navigation control that will run 79 “pivot and go” paths in 30 minutes flat
The Zodiac T5 Duo Pool Cleaner is a disc-style suction-side pool cleaner that also has only one moving part. It utilizes a Dura-Life Diaphragm that is both durable and quiet when running. The Zodiac covers maximum area with two independent discs that allows for better adhesion to the pool as well as flexibility. The adjustable wheel deflector enables fluid navigation around ladders, corners, and steps.
It also makes it easily over obstacles that would otherwise stop a traditional suction cleaner--drains, lights, and other wall fittings are no problem.
- Twist-locking hose for easy connection
- Cyclonic leaf catcher
- Connects directly to a skimmer or 1.5” vacuum line
- 39 feet of hose
- 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
Another Kreepy Krauly from Pentair! This one is the SandShark model and although priced near the high end of suction pool cleaners, it comes with a rebate that is good for $100 off through September of this year. There’s also a video on the product page to demonstrate its cleaning ability.
The Kreepy Krauly SandShark by Pentair cleans two ways: it scrubs pool floors and walls and removes dirt particles with rows of small rubber scrubbers and then vacuums away the debris, sending it through pool’s filtration system. It also maneuver’s really well, using the SmartTrac Steering that makes sure it covers every inch of the pool, easily making it through corners and steps.
- Has a wide body designed to cover a maximum amount of area in one pass so that the pool is cleaned quickly
- Sucks up fine particles like dirt, sand, and pollen as well as large debris like leaves, twigs, and insects
- Scrubs away algae, scale, and calcium deposits
- Has an adjustable regulator valve and free flow gauge so you can set the perfect cleaning speed
- Bagless unit that doesn’t have moving parts (diaphragms, wheels) to replace
- Two-year limited manufacturer’s warranty