A pool shock treatment is also known as super chlorination, increases chlorine levels in your pool to help kill bacteria and fight water problems. Super chlorinating or shock treating is a routine part of regular pool maintenance. Different types of pool shock treatment include both chlorine and non-chlorine shock options.
A shock treatment raises the levels of chlorine in the water, effectively killing of bacteria and algae. Shocking your swimming pool at least once a month will keep any bacteria growth at bay and will also help maintain proper chlorine levels. Shocking may be necessary more often depending on the usage level and needs of your pool.
Pool shock treatments add 5.0 to 10.0 parts per million (PPM) of free chlorine to your swimming pool water. Prior to a pool shock treatment you should test and balance your pH. It is best to shock-treat after sun down with the pool pump and filter running. After a shock treatment the water needs to be tested. The pool should not be used until the free chlorine reading is 1.0 to 3.0 PPM. The chlorine will evaporate naturally so if it is too high, refrain from using the pool and test again after a few hours.
Non-chlorine shock treatments are oxygen based shock known as a monopersulfate compound (MPS). These treatments are widely used and because they have little to no chemical odor many people prefer them. Non-chlorine shocks can be used with both bromine and chlorine sanitizer systems.
Chlorine shock or dichlor shock is a form of sodium dichlor chlorine; it is not normally used as a primary shock treatment but is very good for an occasional use to clear up water problems. If you are experiencing water issues such as slime, algae, mustiness, foul odor, or cloudy water a chlorine shock treatment is usually the fastest and easiest way to clear up these issues.
Again, we recommend a pool shock treatment at least once a month to prevent bacteria growth and keep your water clean and healthy for your swimmers.